Idyllically located on the banks of the River Great Ouse, the Maltings was built in 1868 for the brewery of Ebenezer William Harlock. Today It is a popular venue, which is available to hire for weddings, conferences, meetings etc and also hosts Ely cinema.
When the Maltings was originally built, locally grown barley was transported here where the brewing process began. The main hall was originally on three levels. The barley was first sifted to remove foreign objects and then conveyed to the top floor where it was steeped in water for several days. The barley was then spread out on the second and first floors and allowed to sprout. The grain was moved along the floor with shovels towards the drying kiln. After drying it was stored ready for brewing. Malting continued from September to May. Barley was processed in this way at the Maltings for nearly 100 years.