Personnel, Finance & Governance
To secure the proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs under all relevant legislation
To deal with all matters relating to the establishment, recruitment, appointment and terms of conditions of employment of all staff.
- Recommend the precept to the Full Council for approval.
- Develop the Council’s Financial Plan.
- Develop the Council’s Strategic Plan
- Review and revise the Business Plan.
- Appoint the independent Internal Auditor.
- Review of internal and external audit reports and arrange to implement recommendations.
- Maintain adequate systems of internal control and internal audit through the year.
- Receive annual estimates of expenditure and income and control and monitoring of the Council’s approved budget throughout the year.
- Undertake all tendering and purchasing arrangements.
- Consider and approve all applications for grants from the Council and make recommendations for consideration by Full Council.
- To consider possible Section 106 applications for the purpose of determining Section 106 priorities of the Council.
- Undertake annual review of all adopted Council policies and procedures.
- Deal with all health and safety matters.
- Deal with all communications and public relations matters and receive feedback from the Communications & PR Working Group.
- To receive feedback from the Youth Strategy Working Group and to deal with any matter in relation to Youth.
- To receive feedback from the CIL Working Group with regard to any matters in relation to CIL.
- To received feedback from the Governance Working Group with regard to reviewing how the new Committee’s structure adopted 13th July 2020 is working and any other matters which they may be asked to review.
On behalf of the City of Ely Council, the Committee also has powers that it can exercise to recommend to Full Council the following aspects with regard to personnel, finance and governance matters:
- To borrow money for statutory functions or for the prudent management of financial affairs;
- Power to make byelaws;
- Duties in respect of parochial charities;
- Power to act as charity trustees;
- Power to spend money on crime detection and prevention measures;
- Power to issue fixed penalty notices for litter, graffiti and offences under dog control orders;
- Power for an eligible council to do anything subject to statutory prohibitions, restrictions and limitations which include those in place before or after the introduction of the general Power of competence;
- Powers to promote lotteries;
- Powers to act as lead body for a neighbourhood development plan or a neighbourhood development order;
- Power to provide newsletters and have their own website;
- Powers to receive and retain Parish Property and documents;
- Duty to deposit certain published works in a specific deposit libraries;
- Power to admit to be honorary freemen/freewomen of the Council;
- Power to participate in schemes of collective investment.
Structure of the Committee
The Committee comprises of five councillors.
The Committee will discharge is responsibilities by:
- Meeting six times a year and reporting to Full Council.
- Creating and managing a balanced budget;
- Managing the income and expenditure transactions;
- Managing the sales and purchase transactions;
- To undertake the payroll.
- Producing management accounts for decision making for the whole Council.
- Dealing with all matters concerning personnel in line with the current legislation.
- Managing the system for CIL recommendations.
- Managing the grant system.
- Managing the health and safety policy and day to day implementation.
- Undertaking a transparent tendering and procurement system for acquisitions and services.
- Ensuring value for money when dealing with suppliers.
- Creating and updating the Council policies and procedures.
- Ensuring effective communications with all stakeholders and maintaining a positive Public reputation.
- Managing and updating the council’s website.
- Work with the appointed Internal Auditor.
It will use its powers in carrying out these tasks by:
- Regular consultation with the local community and media.
- Participation in Community Panels.
- Regular liaison with East Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council and the ECDC Access Group.
- Scrutiny and timely response to all relevant policy reviews and consultations.
- 27th January 2014
- 24th March 2014
- 19th May 2014
- 14th July 2014
- 15th September 2014
- 13th October 2014
- 15th December 2014
- 23rd February 2015
- 23rd March 2015
- 13th April 2015
- 6th July 2015
- 7th September 2015
- 30th November 2015
- 22nd January 2018
- 23rd April 2018
- 16th July 2018
- 10th September 2018
- 5th November 2018
- 3rd December 2018
- 25th February 2019
- 10th June 2019
- 12th August 2019
- 9th September 2019
- 4th November 2019
- 2nd December 2019